In-person Ceremony Location
Chesapeake Employers Insurance Arena
- Parking is free and available across campus.
- Shuttles will be available to take guests to and from the Chesapeake Employers Insurance Arena from the following lots. (You can also find where the shuttle is using the shuttle tracker.)
- Limited handicap parking spaces are available directly in front of the arena (permits required)
Arrival Information for Graduates
- Graduates must arrive at 9 a.m. Graduates arriving late may not be able to join the procession of students and may not be seated with their major. You must be on time.
- Plan for heavy traffic on campus!
- Follow posted signs to the graduate entrance. Graduates will enter using the lower level doors by the Auxiliary Gym entrance. This entrance is to your right when you are standing in front of the arena.
- Late arriving graduates may not be seated with their major
You MUST bring:
- GradPass printed from Marching Order (log into Marching Order using your student ID email to print your GradPass).
- Regalia. It is best to be wearing it when you arrive as there is no robing area. For more information on regalia, visit our UMBC Regalia page.
- Do not bring personal items into the arena with you. Once you cross the stage you may not return to your original seat and there is no secure area for you to leave your belongings.
- Once you arrive, volunteers will direct you to the area in which you will line up. Lineup order is based upon your school and program.
- When it is time to walk across the stage, volunteers will direct you. Make sure you have your GradPass out and ready to go before you leave your seat.
- Photos will be taken before you cross the stage.
- Students are not permitted to carry props or accessories with them across the stage. This includes signs, posters, noisemakers, flags, or other large objects. Small bags worn on the body are permitted but not recommended.
- After you return to your seat, remain in your seat until the end of the ceremony and the procession of the Platform Party. All graduates will remain in their seats until the Platform Party has left
- Doors for guests will open one hour before the ceremony start time.
- For the undergraduate ceremonies, individuals over the age of one year must have a ticket to enter the building. Graduates must log into their Marching Order account to claim their tickets. Tickets are not required for the Graduate Ceremony.
- Balloons, food, and drink are NOT permitted inside the arena.
- Strollers may not be brought into arena seating. You may leave a small folded stroller in the lobby behind the Accessibility table at your own risk, at no liability to the Chesapeake Employers Insurance Arena or UMBC.
- Guests requiring accessible seating may visit the Accessible Seating table in the arena lobby. Volunteers will assist with finding acceptable seating.
- Guests and graduates will need to leave the building immediately after the ceremony. Plan to meet one another outside on the arena plaza.
- Parking is free and available across campus
- There are limited handicap parking spaces directly in front of the arena, proper permits are required for these spaces
Student Information and Privacy Concerns
- Participation in UMBC’s Commencement ceremonies is voluntary as the Commencement is intended to be a community celebration of the successes of UMBC’s students. Participation in a Commencement ceremony is voluntary and does not affect the student’s graduation status or granting of their degree. All students that apply for and are approved to graduate will have their name, department, and degree published in the Commencement program book. Students who do not wish to have their name published must request this no later than November 15. Email email@example.com to submit this request.
- Students who register to participate in a Commencement ceremony will have their name, image, department, and major displayed at this public event. It will be displayed onscreen at the event, and during the video livestream of the event. In addition, UMBC will use photographs and video from this public celebration in official University publications and websites. The University owns and retains the right to crop or alter the photograph and video at its sole discretion.
- Participation in the commencement ceremony requires the use of MarchingOrder, the graduation ceremony software solution industry leader. UMBC provides MarchingOrder with graduating students’ Directory Information necessary to provide essential services for graduates and families. This includes Student name, College, Dept, and Degree. We also provide Student ID, Email and Mobile phone (if it is a part of their UMBC account) allowing the graduate to create an account to gain access to graduation photographs, submit their name pronunciation, and to participate in the virtual ceremony. Any additional information requested by MarchingOrder is optional. The University only shares Directory Information and information that is necessary for MarchingOrder to perform this service that UMBC has outsourced.
The ceremony will be streamed live for those who cannot attend in person. You can find the link to stream the ceremony the day of Commencement on our Homepage.
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.