Our Spring 2022 commencement ceremonies will be held in person at this time. We also offer virtual participation options for graduates and community members.
In-person Ceremony Location
Chesapeake Employers Insurance Arena
Directions and Parking Information
The UMBC shuttles will be available to take guests to and from the Chesapeake Employers Insurance Arena, the Campus-Map Commencement Shuttle shows the different stops around campus. You can also find where the shuttle is using the shuttle tracker.
Arrival Information for Graduates
- Graduates should arrive one hour before the ceremony start time.
- Plan for heavy traffic on campus!
- Late arriving graduates may not be seated with their major
- Graduates will enter using the lower level doors by the Auxiliary Gym entrance. This entrance is to your right when you are standing in front of the arena building, and there will be signs directing you
You MUST bring:
- Graduates need to print their GradPass from Marching Order and bring it with them. You will need to log into your Marching Order account to access your GradPass, remember to use your student ID email to login
- Graduates must bring their regalia with them, it is best to be wearing it when you arrive as there is no robing area
- Do not bring personal items into the arena with you, as once you cross the stage you may not return to your original seat and there is no secure area for you to leave your belongings
- Once you arrive, volunteers will direct you to your seat. Seats are assigned by major, do not switch seats unless directed by staff. When it is time to walk across the stage, volunteers will direct you
- Photos will be taken before you cross the stage.
- When you get onto the stage, there will be a scanner on a small table that you will use to scan your GradPass. This will announce your name and any honors earned. Once you scan your GradPass you will walk across the stage and be greeted by campus leaders.
- Due to COVID-19, there will be no handshaking as you cross the stage. Please remain in the marked aisle.
- After you return to your seat, remain in your seat until the end of the ceremony and the procession of the Platform Party. All graduates will remain in their seats until the Platform Party has left
- Doors for guests will open one hour before the ceremony start time
- Parking is free and available across campus
- There are limited handicap parking spaces directly in front of the arena, proper permits are required for these spaces
- For the undergraduate ceremonies, you must have a ticket to enter the building. Graduates must log into their Marching Order account to claim their tickets before the ceremony. Tickets are not required for the Wednesday Graduate Ceremony.
- There will be a bag check, please bring minimal personal items with you
- Balloons, strollers, food, and drink are NOT permitted inside the arena
- For guests requiring accessible seating, there will be a table in the lobby of the arena staffed by volunteers that will assist in finding acceptable seating
- Guests and Graduates will need to leave the building immediately after the ceremony. Plan to meet one another outside on the arena plaza